Sunday, October 26, 2008

How will they put her skin back on?

Our Little Emerald has had a lump about the size of a golf ball on her right rib cage that we noticed a couple of weeks ago and it has slowly been getting bigger. So, we took her to the vet on Thursday afternoon, I had all three kids with me so Brian met me there. Aspen was very concerned about Emerald and her bump and the doctor fixing it. While the doctor was examining it he was talking about bone cancer and having to take it out and send it in for a biopsy, and taking a x-ray of the lungs because cancer spreads to the lungs fairly quick, and other scary things like if it is really bad they just won't wake her up! So, we left her there that night so they could do surgery in the morning, and Brian and I prepared for the worst and discussed what our decisions would be pending a bad diagnosis. The next morning Aspen immediately began asking about Emerald and when we could go get her, I wasn't sure how to answer because I wasn't sure we were going to be able to pick her up, so I would just play it safe with "I don't know." At about 10 am the vet office called and said Emerald was done and it was just a fatty tumor-nothing bad! Yeah! We couldn't pick her up until 1, so, the kids and I proceeded with our day, we went to lunch at McDonalds and then the high school homecoming parade, but Aspen could have cared less about all of that she just wanted to go get Emerald. On our way to finally pick her up Aspen kept asking me questions about Emeralds surgery: (Aspen) How did they take out her bump? (Me)Well, they cut it out. (Aspen)With a knife? (Me) Well, yes-a special knife. (Aspen) How will they put her skin back on? (Me) They sew her up with stitches, I will show you them when we get there. (Aspen) What did they do with the bump? (Me) They probably threw it in the garbage. (Aspen)But I want to see it!! She was very upset she couldn't see the bump they took out of Emerald-she cracks me up! So, we got Emerald home and even let her stay in the house that night, the kids thought it was great, however Emerald would have rather been out in her house. The kids were a little too clingy. Every time Emerald would disappear Aspen would panic and ask "Where did Emerald go?" It was cute she was so concerned, I am just glad we didn't have to put her down Aspen would have had a very hard time with that (not to mention Brian and me). Emerald is doing great we even took her pheasant hunting the next day and she found 5 pheasants! (Just a side note: Brian shot two of them, I on the other hand missed 4!!! I know I am a crappy shot! But it was fun!) We love our Emerald and are so happy she is still healthy! And Brian is glad he still has his best bird dog! We Love you too Jayde!



Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Trish said...

We are so glad to hear that Emerald is going to be ok! Especially Chloe-yes Chloe still remembers who Emerald is!! Well I think it's sweet how concerned Aspen was. Get well soon Emerald!

ANGELA OR PAUL said...

WOW!! quite the luck with family dogs these days in the Davis family, glad to hear she's doing good. Sweet little Aspen, always looking out for others. Maybe she'll become a nurse or Dr. when she grows up??? I can't wait to see pics of them on Halloween:)

TRICK_OR_TREAT!!! XOXOXO