Sunday, October 12, 2008

BUCK FEVER!


This weekend I went on my first deer hunt, where I actually carried my own gun and had my own tag (normally I just go for fun and hike with Brian). We left all of the kids with my sister Melinda in Logan on Thursday night-thanks Melinda! Then headed up to Malad Idaho for the hunt! Friday morning we headed up the mountain in the dark, and as soon as the sun came out it was amazing I have never seen so many deer, especially so many bucks. Unfortunately the area we were in was a 4 point or better area so, we couldn't just shoot anything, although I was ready! We did see some 4 points that morning, but they were not close enough to shoot and as much as we tried we couldn't quite get in on them. Then Brian's binnoculars broke and wouldn't focus anymore so, we hiked off the mountain and drove to Pocatello to get some new ones at Sportsmans Warehouse. And then it was back up again that evening until dark! We stayed at a "hotel" in Snowville, Utah and let me tell you it was pretty scary! It was an old nasty place, they just left the door to our room open and left the keys on the dresser for us. We took showers and while getting dressed to go to eat the lady who runs the place walked into our room while Brian was putting his pants on!! She didn't even apologize or step back out she just asked if she could get some extra blankets out the closet and started to walk to to the closet. Brian finished putting his pants on and stopped her and got the blankets for her, because the closet was in the bathroom where I was getting out of the shower! The lady didn't even seemed phased that she just walked in on Brian half dressed. It was great! Saturday it started to snow and the wind was blowing sideways so we got off the mountain pretty quick, you couldn't see a thing. We wnt to lunch in Malad and when we walked into the ONLY restaurant there, we started to laugh because EVERYONE in there was in camo. I guess deer hunt weekend is a big thing in Malad, they say it is was keeps the town alive. With the snow and fog Saturday was pretty much a bust! BUT, Sunday morning we started up the mountain once again!! We decided to split up Brian went up the mountain and I stayed at he bottom, the plan was he would push everything down to me. And it worked great I had so many deer right to me it was so much fun. I would just sit there and they would practically run me over. But none of them had 4 points, lots of 3 points, of course!! But, I didn't care it was so much fun being that close to them, my feet didn't hurt anymore, I didn't feel my blisters, I wasn't cold anymore, I was just focused on all of the deer! I told Brian I get it now! I understand why they get the way they are about hunting!! While I was down there Brian found and shot a 3x4 up on top. So, we got that cleaned out and had to drag it for 3 1/2 hours to get it to the car! I liked hunting, but once you shoot something then the works starts and that sucked! But, Brian was amazing and dragged that deer all by himself back to the car! We had a great time I loved being with Brian, we laughed the whole weekend! Mostly at each other and all of the crazies in Snowville and Malad! Brian said he was so impressed that I didn't whine at all while we were hiking, I told him it's hard to whine when you can't breathe-what a workout!! My feet are covered in blisters and my legs do not want to work today, but I would do it again!!! Crazy, I know!! I would recommend it to anyone, it was fun to get all camoed up (my earrings even matched my camo!) and hang out with my husband, it was like a little romantic get away, just the two of us! Maybe next time I will get my own deer! Now I am excited for the pheasant hunt!!! We didn't take the truck (I told Brian we probably won't get anything so, lets just take the car and save on gas!) So, here is the deer shoved in the back of the car!
Porter kept trying to touch it, he thought it was great! He would reach as far as he could to get a hold of the antler! Aspen told Brylee the deer was going to be our pet, so I had to explain that we got the deer for deer meat. And she couldn't wait to see it without the skin on so she could see the meat. Brylee didn't really like it much, she wouldn't get very close. First thing this morning Aspen asked if we could go outside in the shop and see the "deer meat".





Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Trish said...

Nice buck! Where's Ashley's?
Did Porter like it? What did the girls say?

Phil and Karen said...

Sounds like you all had a lot of fun, but I can't believe you wore earrings?!!!!! Is your tag still good? If it is I hope you get something. I think it is hillarious that Aspen said it was a pet. What's it name?

Eryn White said...

You are awesome! I've always wanted to go hunting with Warren and have not. You've inspired me to really try one of these years. Warren has always wanted to hunt in Idaho, maybe we could double date hunting one of these years. That would be a blast! Warren is gone hunting right now hopefully he is as lucky as brian was, we'll see!

Rebecca Storms said...

So, Elle who is our oldest and our aspiring vet /animal lover saw your pictures of the deer hunt on your blog as I was looking at it. She was so excited as she told me, "Mom look they helped this poor hurt deer - they even took it to their house to help it get better." I just agreed.

Rommel and Christy said...

Go Ash! You are quite the trooper...