Thursday, August 8, 2013

Date nights!

Brian and I try to go on frequent and regular date nights.  We usually try to plan them on payday, that way we feel fine about spending the money :) You know, pay ourselves first... Normally date night consists of going to dinner then running errands, grocery shopping, basically doing the stuff we have a hard time doing with all 3 kids.  Sounds exciting huh?  The last two weeks we decided to mix it up a little bit - first, we were invited by a friend of ours to come do a "Nine and Dine" down at Blue Lakes Golf Course, that is where you play 9 holes of golf and then eat at the course restaurant.  Now Brian was very excited about this, Blue Lakes is a private course where you have to be a member or a guest of a member to play there.  He has played there a few times and loves it down there, and always raves about the food.  I was not as excited about this, I DO NOT play golf, I don't know how and don't really care to learn how either. Brian assured me it would be fine, he said his friends wife didn't really play either. I just knew this was going to be an uncomfortable evening for me!  So, I get all dressed up for date night (I always try to look nice fore date night, because the rest of the week I look pretty scary)  We get there and everyone is not only totally dressed for some serious golf, but they are all very obviously much wealthier than we are.  Brian's friend shows up and his wife-the one who doesn't play much- is all ready for golf in her visor and golf outfit, shoes, the whole nine yards.  And of course at every hole she is talking about how far she needs to hit so that means she should use this or that club... She even did practice swings!!!  Me?? I just grabbed whatever Brian handed me, walked right up to the ball and hit it (well sometimes I missed and had to try again, but I eventually made contact!!) I sucked, it was uncomfortable being the only one who had no idea what I was doing, but I can laugh at myself--in fact I did MANY times.  And I always enjoy being with Brian. It was beautiful down in the canyon.  And the best part---DINNER!!  I ate my food enjoyed my husband and even said I might try golf again. Well, probably not, but that's what I told Brian!
 The next week we borrowed our friends kayaks and went down on the river and Kayaked.  So much fun!  Relaxing, Beautiful and different!  We talked the whole way--well, except for the part when I was apparently not paddling fast enough and Brian was a mile in front of me--  We both talked about how there are so many places we haven't taken the opportunity to explore around here.  We have lived here for 7 years and have not seen many of the beautiful places our area has to offer.  We are definitely going to be exploring some more!









 
If you don't go on a regular date night DO IT!!  If it's hard getting babysitters or becomes too expensive, trade with a friend!! It makes such a huge difference in our relationship, and our kids like the time away from us too.   

No comments: