Saturday, August 10, 2013

Being a good mom sometimes means being the bad guy...

There is a very hard part of parenting that I struggle with very frequently.  It's the making a consequence -then following through with that consequence.  Here's how it goes.... I let my kids know up front what is expected of them (completed chores, a certain behavior-good or bad, finished meals, etc. ) then I let them know what the consequences or rewards will be.  For ex.  Do this chore, we will go do this, don't and you will miss out.  Hit your sister, spend time in room or have something taken away -Kindle, play time, etc...  The hardest part is that I hate to actually not let them have the promised thing or do the promised activity. I will spend hours yelling at them to hurry and finish threatening repeatedly, and give them until the very last second, and then some, to finish.  And it is a miserable experience for all of us!  But, I rationalize letting it slip here and there because I want so badly to go do the fun thing together as a family. I want these fun things for my kids.  I hate when a kid misses out on ice cream because they didn't finish a meal. I do everything in my power to make sure they get the reward, sometimes even to the point of changing the expectations...   Well, I have decided that can't continue to happen, my kids are all old enough to understand choice and accountability.  And it sucks--BAD!! So, right now as I type, Brylee, Porter and Brian are at the movies enjoying there popcorn and treats.  I am at home with Aspen while she is STILL trying to finish her chore that she was assigned 4 HOURS AGO!!!!  She is sad, I am sad and Brylee was really sad for her, but I can't let that change the consequence-right??  This mom thing is hard. 
I just pray that I am doing it right....

1 comment:

Kyle and Shara Gibson said...

AMEN!! I am the same way, learning the same lesson! Good Job! Sorry you missed the show!