Monday, September 14, 2009

Beans, Beans the magical fruit!!

It is that time of year, once again!!! The time when I am canning something everyday! This year we have had a very successful green bean crop, and the last time we picked we got two, 5 gallon buckets full, which after we snapped and put them in jars it equaled 21 quarts if green beans!!! If you are not impressed by this then you have NEVER snapped green beans. Snapping green beans sucks!!! But we really like the taste of home canned green beans-much better than store bought.



Since then I have had another HUGE batch of green beans, canned 50+ jars of peaches, made 20 jars of spaghetti sauce (which I am very excited about-I added zucchinni and carrots to get some extra veggies into my family-sshh they will never know!) , helped someone else can pears, froze many bags of brocolli, made many loaves of zucchinni bread, canned 18 jars of pickles, and I am in the process of drying apples, trying to decide what to do with more tomatoes (we still have plenty of salsa from last year), and could probably pick green beans AGAIN!! I am just not sure I want to! We really enjoy eating home grown and canned food, but I really start to get burned out by this time of year!

2 comments:

ANGELA OR PAUL said...

HOLY COW wanna overnight some of those to me?? or maybe mail me some in the no-weight boxes:) hahaha WE LOVE GREEN BEANS... nothing better then fresh green beans from the garden. so jealous! delicious!

Stacy and Angela said...

Jealous over here too! I had like 1/2 of a jar full off of 6 rows of beans. I don't know what happened to mine this year. Maybe next year!