Thursday, November 13, 2008

AAAAUUUUGGGGHHHHH! (That is me screaming loud and long!!)

I hope nobody minds, but I am going to vent a little (or a lot)! Yesterday was not a great day for us, but before I go there let me first say I have had a miserable cold since Sunday and have not slept at all since then! And I felt pretty crappy yesterday! But, the kids and I headed out of the house fairly early (around 9:30) and headed to the distribution center to buy Temple Clothing. Our new Temple is so small they do not rent clothing, and I have never purchased clothing before. And Friday night is the elders temple night so, needless to say I needed clothes so we could attend. Our closest distribution center is in Burley approx. 45 minutes away, yes, 45 minutes to buy garments or anything! So, those of you in Salt Lake-appreciate how easy it is for you! ANYWAYS, the drive went great, but the kids got pretty restless while I was picking out clothing, it is not exactly a FUN place for kids. After an hour there we left for another 45 minute drive home. We had lunch in Twin, then headed to the kids doctors appointments at the Ear Nose and Throat doctor. Just a little ear background-Brylee had tubes put in about two years ago due to multiple ear infections, and then about 3 months later Aspen had them for the same reason. Ever since then Aspen has continually got nasty ear infections where her ears drain very nasty "pus" (yes, it is gross), but they normally don't hurt her- that is what tubes are supposed to due-let the infection drain so it does not build up behind the ear drum. The last couple of times this has happened it has become painful and extra extra yucky! Well, her ear has been draining again and she complained about her other ear hurting (the tube is gone from that ear!) So, I took her in to see how to stop this from happening. The doctor said the ear without the tubes had ruptured, which should be extremely painful. and the other ear was of course yucky and draining. So, Aspen got a prescription for a major antibiotic and antibiotic drops, and then she will be reevaluated in three weeks to see if a different kind of tube, made to last long term, will need to be placed. Porter was next, he has had a cold and been pulling on his ears and I suspected that he had ANOTHER ear infection. He has had so many I can't count. And the doctor said that yep, both ears were full of infection! She said she recommends tubes when kids have had 4 to 6 ear infections before 1 year old. Porter definitely qualifies, so he got a major antibiotic script and is scheduled to have tubes next Monday! Then, the doctor said maybe we should look and see if Brylee's tubes are still in. And of course they were not, they were sitting in wax ready to fall out, so she took them out and low and behold both of her ears were infected!! So, another antibiotic and a follow up in three weeks! I am so sick of ear problems, the doctor asked if it runs in the family and it does-big time Brian's brother had a couple of sets of tubes, my sister had horrible ear problems, and Brian's nephew has had a couple of sets of tubes also. She said it is the way her eustachian tubes are formed, they are too small! She also told me they would all fail hearing tests they had so much gunk in their ears. Maybe that is why I have to yell so much :). It was a very long appointment the kids were very restless and ready to go. So four prescriptions and more money later, we were out of there! I feel like I have a lot more questions I didn't get to ask- but we will be seeing her again so I will get another opportunity! We got home at about 4 pm after leaving that morning at 9:30 am, I was exhausted and felt even worse, but no rest for the weary I had Young Womens at 7 pm!! Thank Goodness for Brian and his help!! OK I am done complaining, Have a Great Day!

1 comment:

Phil and Karen said...

I understand your frustration, but look at the positive, if you lived in pioneer time you wouldn't have the luxury of tubes. Also, you make 50 bazillion trips to SLC and you don't by g's/temple clothes when you hear? j/k. I hope you temple day is a relaxing calming one, and you feel refreshed and ready to tackle the next hurdle. Hope surgery goes well!
And Happy B-Day coming up to 2 of the kids!